Generally speaking, all parents arrive at the time when they wonder what is the best age for their children to start at the gym. The question is fully justified since at a certain age, physique and stage of growth determine the ideal time to start with sports safely for children and adolescents.
- From 10 to 11 years old: At this age children should work with their own body weight to tone and strengthen their muscles avoiding the use of weights and machines in order to respect natural growth.
- From 12 to 14 years old: Training in the gym, based on strength exercises is something we should consider as a supplement to the exercises that children do at this stage on the court. Progressively introducing light weights in dynamic exercises, start and raise, but always paying close attention to the postures and balances while executing each workout to avoid injury.
- From 16 to 17 years old: At this stage you can make a good exercise plan in the gym without problems as might arise without a specific plan at a younger age, because they have reached an optimal stage of growth and development, and introducing light weights and machines in the routine.
As for the physical build:
- Short body type: A young of short physique needs more of exercises that help stretching, such as soccer, basketball, gymnastics and ballet. While it is a myth that using weights makes young people stop growing, it is true that they do not help developing their stature because of their movements based on contractions and stretching.
- Tall, thin or robust body type: For this type of physique, using weights is positive, whenever closely monitoring the postures and coordination to perform each movement to avoid injuries. Weights favor the absorption of protein in the muscles and help them.
Spiuk Zirion Helmet Black-White 2014